This Week in Movie News — September 6, 2019

By Zach Hester | @hestzach

Here are this week’s top headlines in film!

Sony’s Spider-Man Plans Revealed

SMFFH

We thought that Disney and Sony were preparing to go back to the drawing board regarding the clash over the “Spider-Man” franchise. However, that doesn’t seem to be the case. 

“For the moment the door is closed,” said Sony Pictures chairman and CEO Tony Vinciquerra, who went on imply that everyone’s Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man might swing his way back into the Marvel Cinematic Universe someday. 

The lack of a deal between Disney and Sony means that Tom Holland’s Peter Parker will no longer appear in the MCU, despite this year’s Marvel films pitching him as the new center of the franchise. 

“We had a great run with (Feige) on Spider-Man movies,” the Sony chief said. “We tried to see if there’s a way to work it out….the Marvel people are terrific people, we have great respect for them, but on the other hand we have some pretty terrific people of our own. Kevin [Feige] didn’t do all the work.”

Sony is currently in production of a second “Venom” movie and a film based on Spider-Man nemesis, Morbius. A sequel is also planned to 2018’s smash hit “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.” 

Joker Receives Praise at Venice Film Festival

Joker copy

The long-awaited debut of the Joaquin Phoenix-led “Joker” film arrived last week to an eight-minute standing ovation at the Venice Film Festival. This new origin story of one of the greatest villains now looks set to compete during awards season, something not so commonplace for a comic book film. 

In their review of the film, Empire Magazine called Joaquin Phoenix “astonishing” in the lead role of Joker, who’s name in this story is Arthur Fleck. The reviewer went on to call the film, “bold, devastating and utterly beautiful.” 

“Joker” will make its theatrical debut next month. 

Disney Eyes Sequels for Aladdin

Aladdin

Disney is already eyeing sequels for their summer smash hit, “Aladdin”, but not in the way you would imagine. 

This week, several outlets reported that Disney was in the “early stages” of developing a second film starring Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott, with hopes that Will’s Smith Genie could return again. 

The film’s producer Dan Lin stated in an interview with SyFy Wire: 

“We’d love to. People clearly loved the movie and watched it multiple times and we get lots of fan letters and people asking us to make Return [of] Jafar, and I can just tell you that we’re in early stages right now, but we’re certainly talking about another movie. Like with Aladdin, it will not be a straight remake of any movie that’s been made before, so we’re looking at ‘where’s the best way to go with these characters.” 

No date or timetable has been set for a sequel at this time, but it appears that another “Aladdin” film will be happening sooner rather than later. 


Check out LONGSHOT on: